Location: Poughkeepsie, Town of, New York
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: MEDIC006236
Position Overview: The role of a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant is to provide care to patients/significant others via direct and/or telephone contact, following established standards and practices. S/he coordinates with other members of the care team to ensure seamless care delivery, maximal coordination of efforts, and active patient participation in planning and care. Assists physician or other provider with clinical procedures.
Typical Physical Demands: Requires full range of body motion including moving and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time. Occasionally exerts up to 100 pounds of force, such as assisting patients in arising from the exam table, pushing patients in wheelchairs, or assisting patients into/out of wheelchairs. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. May require occasional lifting and carrying office supplies.
Typical Working Conditions: May require frequent exposure to communicable diseases and body fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, and other substances and conditions common to a medical office environment. Requires working in close proximity to other personnel. Requires use of computer keyboard throughout the work day. May require use of autoclave for instrument sterilization. Requires working under stressful conditions and/or working irregular hours.
* High school diploma or equivalent
* At least one year of clinical experience in a medical office / clinic or hospital setting, or graduate of an accredited medical assistant program.
* Record of prior stable employment and / or favorable references.
* Graduate of an accredited medical assistant program with at least one year of recent experience as a medical assistant.
* Current certification as a medical assistant or eligible for certification.
* Must obtain certification through the CMM M.A exam course if not yet certified at time of employment.
* Current CPR / BLS certification.
I. PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
A. Clinical Knowledge and Skills
1. Demonstrates clinical competence in the direct care of patients in established area(s) of practice, and assisting MDs with procedures.
2. Performs clinical duties within scope of practice complying with the accepted CareMount Medical and/or individual department standards, policies, and protocols.
3. Demonstrates a proactive approach to patient care, focusing on addressing each patient's individual and family needs at the time of service; communicates identified needs in a timely manner.
4. Directs and/or escorts patients to exam rooms in a timely manner.
5. Demonstrated clinical competence when assisting physician/mid-level healthcare professional and/or nurse during exams and office diagnostic procedures/treatments
6. Performs authorized procedures competently (i.e. vital signs, vision screening, selected laboratory tests) as directed by physician or nurse in clinical practice area.
7. Seeks validation/guidance from physicians, mid-level healthcare professional and/or nurse when necessary.
8. Prepares e-prescriptions for processing to pharmacies when instructed to do so by physician per CareMount Medical policy.
9. Inspects, cleans/prepares and processes instruments/equipment according to manufacturers' or CareMount Medical guidelines.
10. Processes specimens for transport to laboratory, ensuring that specimens are properly labeled and appropriate orders have been placed in NextGen.
1. Communicates professionally in all situations and across all modalities (email, telephone, and EHR)
2. Demonstrates effective communication strategies reflective of the needs of all patients, including those from vulnerable populations
3. Actively participates in the care team to ensure that patient needs and preferences are incorporated into the comprehensive plan of care
4. Notifies patients and reception staff promptly of unanticipated physician//mid-level healthcare professional delays or scheduling changes.
5. Provides reassurance to patients who are upset and/or in need of assistance or additional information.
6. Answers telephone promptly and courteously and identifies self by name and department (and physician's office by physician's name, if appropriate)
7. Effectively and efficiently evaluates patient phone calls and schedules same-day (work-in) appointments as per departmental or individual physician guidelines.
8. Facilitates patient referrals and pre-certs as needed; communicates potential for additional care coordination with outside organizations and/or providers when identified
9. Seeks resource and support from physicians, other clinical staff and Patient Care Manager as necessary.
C. Organizational Skills
1. Demonstrates ability to set priorities appropriately toward the achievement of a desired outcome
2. Sets priorities effectively to ensure timely completion of assigned work.
3. Requests assistance as appropriate in order to complete assigned work.
4. Takes and leaves complete, appropriate and signed messages as needed.
5. Efficiently & effectively processes multiple and/or simultaneous tasks.
6. Notifies patients of amount of time needed to address or answer their requests or questions. Completes such requests as promptly as possible and/or notifies patient of anticipated (or unanticipated) delays.
1. Documents in EHR all clinical information as directed (i.e. prescriptions/immunizations/VS/treatments/allergies per CareMount Medical/department protocol).
E. Team Dynamics
1.Identifies problems and offers solutions to maintain the smooth functioning of the department & patient/personnel safety
2. Offers to assist others when work load permits.
3. Provides support to professional & non-professional staff.
4.Is cooperative & open-minded in working in a team setting
5. Serves as an effective preceptor to new staff as assigned.
6. Actively participates in departmental staff meetings.
7. Assists Patient Care Manager when possible by taking on alternate assignments or responsibilities, working additional hours, or altering regularly scheduled hours, when necessary
1. Demonstrates accountability, sound judgment, & ethical behavior in all activities.
2.Serves as a role model for professional conduct and professional practice(e.g., maintaining composure during times of increased stress)
3.Maintains confidentiality of all information obtained from patient records and conversations with patients, physicians and other CareMount Medical personnel.
4. Demonstrates patient advocacy.
H. Other Specific Responsibilities/Duties
I. GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES
A. Arrives to work on time or notifies Patient Care Manager or designee as soon as employee becomes aware that s/he will be absent or tardy, and/or as per individual department protocol.
B. Maintains an acceptable attendance record as per CareMount Medical policies and procedures.
C. Notifies Patient Care Manager or designee whenever leaving CareMount Medical premises during scheduled work hours.
D. Attends all mandatory CareMount Medical programs and in-services.
E. Dresses according to CareMount Medical dress code.
F. Assumes responsibility for reading, understanding, and complying with information contained in the current CareMount Medical Employee Handbook, CareMount Medical Clinical and/or Administrative Policy & Procedure Manuals, as applicable.
G. Maintains patient confidentiality under all circumstances, and follows all CareMount Medical policies regarding confidentiality.
H. Assists Patient Care Manager and/or designee, and/or other administrative personnel when possible by taking on alternate assignments or other responsibilities, working additional hours, or altering regularly scheduled hours, when necessary, for the efficient operation of CareMount Medical.
Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. CareMount will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. CareMount is an EO employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability